The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, joined his ancestors on Friday night following a brief illness.
Aged 83, Oba Adeyemi, who died at the Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State, was the longest serving Alaafin of Oyo, after sitting on the throne for 52 years.
He was buried the next day at the palace premises in Oyo in line with the Islamic tradition.
While the public awaits the funeral programme of the ” Iku baba yeye” as the Alaafin was fondly called, Buzzministry highlights these fourteen (14) interesting facts about the late traditional ruler;
- Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi was born on October, 15, 1938
- His life was filled with ups and down; he even lost his mother , Ibironke at a very tender age and so did not fully enjoy motherly love and care
- His father, Oba Adeyemi ll was deposed and sent on exile in 1954 for showing sympathy to a political party, the National Council of Nigerian Citizens
- His ascension of the Alaafin throne involved a keen contest to the extent that the Princes from the larger royal families in Oyo became contenders
- He defeated ten others after a rigorous screening that was based on eligibility, popularity and stamina for the huge responsibility
- After he emerged the Alaafin of Oyo in 1970, he was crowned the following year on the 14th January,1971
- Oba Adeyemi married 13 wives; he had married two of his wives Alhaja Olori Abibat Adeyemi and Alhaja Olori Rahmat Adeyemi before ascending the throne
- He succeeded his father while working as an insurance clerk at the age of 31 years
- He was the pioneer chancellor of the University of Sokoto, now Uthman Dan Fodio University
- In recognition of his priceless and modest contribution, he was the only Oba from Yorubaland invited to perform the pilgrimage to Mecca with General Murtala Muhammed in 1975.
- Federal Government bestowed on him the CFR National Honour at the National Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos in 1970
- He was one of Africa’s most powerful and influential traditional ruler
- He was the longest reigning Alaafin having sat on the throne for 52 years
- Late Alaafin Dr. Adeyemi fathered 20 children
From His Biography